Harold's Blog

Welcome to Harold Jarche's personal blog. This is where I discuss things beyond the intersection of learning, work & technology. Maybe politics, the environment or whatever catches my fancy.

Monday, December 08, 2003

Introductions may be in order?

First, let me thank Harold for inviting me to his Blog. I am the (mystery?) partner who is currently investing his time to learn different OSS learning systems. My goal is to offer technical and implementation support (including training) for up to 5 different LCMS's within the next 6 - 9 months.

Currently, I'm learning the nuts & bolts of ATutor, developed by the University of Toronto, in Canada. ATutor has, in my opinion, a lot going for it. First, as Harold mentioned, it is SCORM and IMS compliant - a rarity among OSS learning platforms. Secondly, it is W3C and Section 508 accessibility compliant. The UI can easily be customized to each individual user's preferences (i.e. font, bg colours, menu placement, etc.). In the near future, say next week, I'll also be starting to work within Moodle, a great system who's guru is Aussie Martin Dougiamas.

I also plan on supporting certain OSS Content Management Systems (CMS) for those who don't necessarily need the Learning component. Among the platforms I'm currently working with, I've developed a fondness for Mambo because of it's well designed and logical administrator interface.

Why offer support for OSS platforms, you ask? Simple, I believe there's a need out there for it! I've talked to different people within the academic and corporate markets who would like to use open source solutions for the obvious savings involved, but who tend to shy away because they work within an environment where on-demand technical support is a must. This is where I (plan) to come in. Because I make no revenue from the actual software, potential clients can rest assured that my interests won't change to fit the "corporate vision". My only product is support - no hidden agenda!

I'll try to keep everybody posted on the latest developments. In the meantime, should anybody have any questions or suggestions for my new endeavor, please feel free to email me at info at legere dot ca.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home