What Open Source learning system is best for you?
As a follow-up on a previous post about a suggested new business model for elearning technologies, I am going to try to practise what I preach. A partner of mine, who previously worked in customer support for a proprietary LCMS, is experimenting with a new line of business. He wants to take 3-5 OSS learning systems, put them on his servers, and create courses etc, on each system. He intends to become familiar with these systems in order to offer third-party support services, for a fee. We will publish our findings on this board, for free, to help anyone make an acquisition decision.
I will help him with the system evaluations, as I've evaluated a number of proprietary systems over the past five years. I recently helped an academic client select a new LCMS, and the single open source system on the short list fared very well.
Between the two of us, we will show the pros and cons of various systems, without hype, and without being radical "open source or nothing" advocates.
We have installed ATutor, a Canadian system, for starters. I like the interface, and am impressed that it's SCORM and IMS compliant. We'll keep you informed on progress.
We would like to know what other systems you want us to look at. Please post your requests to this board, and tell us what fonctions or types of test would most interest you. We will focus on what you cannot find out on the user forums. Also, if you have some content that you would like to test on ATutor, you can email me at: harold at jarche dot com.
Harold's OpenSource Learning Blog - QuickTopic bulletin board
As a follow-up on a previous post about a suggested new business model for elearning technologies, I am going to try to practise what I preach. A partner of mine, who previously worked in customer support for a proprietary LCMS, is experimenting with a new line of business. He wants to take 3-5 OSS learning systems, put them on his servers, and create courses etc, on each system. He intends to become familiar with these systems in order to offer third-party support services, for a fee. We will publish our findings on this board, for free, to help anyone make an acquisition decision.
I will help him with the system evaluations, as I've evaluated a number of proprietary systems over the past five years. I recently helped an academic client select a new LCMS, and the single open source system on the short list fared very well.
Between the two of us, we will show the pros and cons of various systems, without hype, and without being radical "open source or nothing" advocates.
We have installed ATutor, a Canadian system, for starters. I like the interface, and am impressed that it's SCORM and IMS compliant. We'll keep you informed on progress.
We would like to know what other systems you want us to look at. Please post your requests to this board, and tell us what fonctions or types of test would most interest you. We will focus on what you cannot find out on the user forums. Also, if you have some content that you would like to test on ATutor, you can email me at: harold at jarche dot com.
Harold's OpenSource Learning Blog - QuickTopic bulletin board


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home